Thursday, November 18, 2010

Photography


My friend's expression just says it all why I like photography so much.

I was a bit of a shutterbug when I was little using up all the film in my Dad's old camera on some random shots of my face or of embarrassing photos of my family.

The family got a practical digital camera and then I could take all the photos I wanted.
 Only problem is..... The digital camera fucking sucked. It never took the epic photos I imagine the second taking it. It was only cool for those group photos and whenever I got really lucky with it.

I tried out my friends fancy DSLR and I fell in love. I wanted a DSLR camera. Well they pretty much cost well around $1000 or over and the family wasn't particularly interested in buying one of those. So my Dad and I got a Lumix GF-1 a little compromise between practical and pro, but I got started.

Nothing feels better than having so much customization you can do with your photos. Turning up the shutter speed, aperture, ISO sensitivity (I swear I hate going above 800). I love it. It's satisfying to see pictures come out every time and play around with the settings to take a better one. Using new lenses is a new craving of mine. My friend and I bought adapters for older film lenses me OM zuiko, him Canon. Gotta admit I found a new addiction collecting and comparing lenses with my camera. But Photography now has become a big part of my life again.

I can't draw for shit, I can barely sing, but I sure love to take good pictures.

5 comments:

  1. Hey I have been trying to find my wife a new camera. She has a point and shoot and she is well versed in photography. I was hoping for your thoughts on the Nikon Coolpix P100. I know nothing about cameras and I want to get her something with pretty good zoom and functionality to step up to DSLR. Thanks.

    http://havethumbs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts on the Nikon Coolpix P100 it's a step up from the normal point and shoot, but what problems I've been seeing about it is the photo quality and it doesn't have a interchangeable lens. It's pretty much the lenses that make up a good camera not the body.

    My suggestion are Micro Four Thirds Cameras which are the Olympus PEN, Panasonic Lumix GF1 (which I currently own),GF2, GH1, GH2.

    They're pretty much the best step up from point and shoot to DSLR in quality, but also sharing the same usability as a point and shoot and a DSLR.

    Prices run below 1000$ With the PEN and GF1 at the price of 499$ on Amazon for body and lens. So if your willing to go 100-200$ up from the Nikon these cameras are really worth the buy for your wife.
    Here's some links for the cameras:
    Olympus PEN: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_slr.asp?section=pen
    Lumix GF1- http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GF1-Four-Thirds-Interchangeable-Aspherical/dp/B002MUAEX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290488230&sr=8-1

    If you have any more questions please ask!^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your help! Those are some nice cameras. They are fairly expensive and then I would have to buy multiple lenses for it as well. I will have to ponder this further.

    http://havethumbs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A bad workman always blames his tools" -- English proverb.

    If you think that cheap digital cameras are crap, then perhaps you should check out this post.

    All pictures were taken with a cheap six-year-old digital camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good pictures! you've proved me wrong you dont need the greatest camera to take pretty good pictures, but i didnt state that digital cameras were crap its mostly me its just the nikon coolpix s7c i used didnt quite meet up to my expectations of pictures later on because of the lack of customization in shutter speed and aperture, hell i went back to the old Olympus OM system film camera several times before it wore out. I'm not blaming my tools just replacing one that ive used for awhile and doesnt suit me

    ReplyDelete