Monday, November 29, 2010

Disney Animated Films



  Man Tangled is the 50th Animated Disney Movie.... It looks like a really good movie and I'll probably find some excuse to watch it sometime.

But I'm not going to talk about Tangled today. I'm going to put my thoughts down about Disney and how I grew up with it and what I think of it now.

 Disney Then

I was lucky to be born into the 90s and in a period of time for Disney called the Disney Renaissance (1989-1999). There were some pretty great, underrated animated films that came out early than that, but this is when Disney was at its prime.

I was pretty young watching all the films from Aladdin, The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Beauty and the Beast, etc. and they were the best. I think that what makes a great movie in my opinion. One that captures you as a child, teen, and adult. I just remember being made fun of for watching anime or "kiddish" shows, but when it came to those Disney it was different.

What Disney movies did was hit the right chord for both kids and adults. It still had the innocence, joy, humor, and fun of a cartoon, but also the humor, drama, and plot for an adult. Take Hunchback of Notre Dame. I had barely any idea about the plot when I was little except that Quasimodo "Good", Judge Frollo "Bad". Watching it again as a teenager, my mouth dropped. The movie became captivating in a different way. I still loved the charming kid parts, but I was drawn into the more mature themes and drama. The song "Hellfire" was a scary song when I was little because I had no idea what he was singing about, just the scene with the robed figures and other visuals. But now it's scary and dark in a different way about sexual desire that you wouldn't believe would be a children's film let alone an animated film.

I cherish every Disney animated film in the past and the memories that came with them. But as I grew up Disney began to go in a direction that I don't really like.

Disney Now
 
Okay timed to bash Disney a bit *Ahem WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO YOU DISNEY?!!!

I'll try not to rant, but it's a really disappointing to me what is happening to Disney.

Okay I barely have any idea when Disney starting changing from cartoon and animations to Hannah Montana, High School Musical, whatever. I can see the goal they're going for is aiming for what's hot in new generation in kids and obviously its not cartoons anymore. I don't mind that. I just feel Disney lost their focus from what they've originally done to focus just on profit.

I'm so surprised that kids still know who Mickey Mouse is because well... have you ever seen Mickey Mouse on T.V. or the movies anymore? I've only seen him in a toddler show and that's pretty much it. Disney Channel is basically 90% kid sitcoms and barely cartoons anymore.

I really don't think kids should be watching these sitcoms kind of stuff that are really supposed to be for teenagers (my opinion challenge me if you will). I feel like these new generations of kids want to be like teenagers and I say NO......... don't throw away your innocence now! I believe kids (approx.) 12 and under (you need -teen in your age to be a teenager). Should be more worried about running around, having tea parties, watching cartoon, playing games, dressing up in silly outfits, well kid stuff! Then wanting to go to High School, gossip, well more teenage stuff you can think of because High School and being a teenager ain't what Disney or any other company is portraying it as!

The only good thing going for Disney (to me) is Disneyland (obviously) and Pixar.

Pixar

Pixar is pretty much doing the same exact thing Disney was doing in the 90s. It's what I wanted Disney to do now (which they kinda of are...? Princess and the Frog, Tangled). A Bug's Life, Monster's Inc., Finding Nemo, Cars, Ratatouille, the Incredibles, WALL-E, UP, Toy Story!! Ya I named them all because they're all great movies! Toy Story 3 is totally describing my rant right now. What Andy as a child and Bonnie were doing is what childhood is all about! 

I'm like Andy going to college soon. He gave the joys of his childhood to a younger generation. I want to give the joy I had to a younger generation.

I grew up with Pixar as well and cherish each movie as well.  I loved Toy Story as a kid because I did the same exact thing like Andy when I was a kid. The one that got me the most recently was WALL-E. I'll admit it I cried in scenes in the movie because it really touched me what true love really is. Those kind of movies are memorable in so many different ways. 
Can High School Musical really do that? 

Conclusion

The old Disney animated films grow up with you. They charmed you as a child and touched you with nostalgia and plot as an adult. If you watched the clip above you know you got goosebumps seeing at least several of those films come up. That's why I cherish those moments and that's why I'm disappointed in Disney now. I don't think High School Musical will have that everlasting effect that Toy Story 3 had, which do you think you will remember the most?

I gotta admit it's probably me just overreacting over this whole thing. I know I'm a bit young and I'm trying to sound like an adult, but again I just want future generations of children especially mine to watch and enjoy those movies like I did. I want kids to be kids they can enjoy being teenagers later.

If you made it down here thanks for reading and if you don't agree with me even better! Just comment below and I would love to have a good conversation with you!


7 comments:

  1. Gabriel, I totally agree with you. I was also born in the 90s, and although I hadn't seen many of the old movies (Hunchback of Notre Dame, Beauty and the Beast) I did love some ones we had on tape like Robin Hood, where they replaced everybody with animals. All movies had animals in them! That was so cool.

    I also agree that most of Disney has gone crazy. Now, I don't have Disney Channel, but for the few times I've seen it by other people, I hate it that, as you say, most of the shows are stupid sitcoms like Hannah Montana, Suite Life of Zaq and Cody, and That's So Raven. I HATE THEM! Even without sitcoms, if the cartoon doesn't have Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy or any of the old characters, it sucks. Only the new animated movies are good, as you said. Pixar has saved Disney from the abyss of suckiness. I loved UP and Wall-E.

    I totally agreed with all that you said. High School Musical was hell, but at least it's over... right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree! Not only is it horrendous that Disney rarely makes good feature films, but the shows they air on their channel give a really bad message. Most of them portray kids living a life of stardom and opulence.

    But it's great that we have Pixar. their last few films were phenomenal - Up, Wall-E, Ratatouille ^^

    And hey... at least Princess and the Frog was nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the thing though lols
    Disney-PIXAR is the corporation that always has their names in the GOOD films. Even in Bambi and all the classics, Disney-PIXAR is stamped in there xD

    Any film that has pixar in, is usually always great. Disney alone makes nothing but horrible Hannah Montanna crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The great thing about all the older Disney films and the new D-P films is that they not only have a great story and look great even today but most importantly they had soul. There were always touching moments that get you even when your older. Maybe even more so now because you are not simply feeling whats going on in the movie but you are also feeling what you felt the first time you saw the movie. The people and places that might not be with you but are still WITH YOU. Great catch on the video. Hope you don't mid if I post it as well.

    http://havethumbs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sami ya haha Robin Hood was great I remember watching that too! I know right! Disney Channel has barely anything worth watching to me beside the occasional Disney movie, but it seems like a lot of tv channels are going downhill hell cartoon network is adding shows that aren't cartoons wth? Haha but thank god High School Musical is over.

    @LakshanaMithra Ya thank goodness there's still Pixar keeping Disney up. I still need to watch Princess and the Frog, but by the looks of it I really like it!

    @Mr. LameButt Haha ya true Pixar is really devoted into making good films and that what Disney used to be too! But ya I wish Disney pretty much did the same thing as Pixar.

    @The Gamers good observation! all those movies they totally did! I swear when I saw the trailer for princess and the frog I felt like I was in the 90s again. It felt like the movie was mainly for older audiences than younger ones lol. Haha ya always. Ya go ahead no worries! Haha it was a random find going through youtube but totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What?!? Cartoon Network shows non-cartoons? That's just being lazy. People watch it for the cartoons! Otherwise you might as well watch Nickelodeon. I don't really like the Nickelodeon channel, but I do like their cartoons like Spongebob Squarepants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ya I know right?! I still think that even some of the cartoons are going downhill. Ya me neither I haven't watched it in forever, ya spongebob is pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete