Saturday, April 30, 2011

Music

I enjoy that feeling when you turn on your CD player, cassette player, ipod, zune, computer, etc. and playing that first song of the day.


There's that moment of utter bliss when whatever song your listening to just runs through your body and can even control it. The catchier the song is to you the more you're inclined to sing or tap along. When you are doing homework you're more concentrated (depending on how you work of course). A song helps convey the mood of a movie scene. It helps us athletes concentrate and pump us up. A song can make your day. It can brighten your mood. Music does a whole variety of good things for our body and mind.

It's awesome when you find that good song or artist. Like when I'm browsing through itunes or listening to 8tracks and I find a good song, something clicks in my head. At first I'm initially interested in the song, then it begins to grow on me and I find myself playing it again just to savor the moment again.

Here's how I work with the genres:

  • Pop: I use this kind of music to initially get me through my morning and on the drive to school. It's also good for those fill-in songs during the day when I can't make up my mind on what music to play. The songs vary on how I like them, and I usually delete this music after at least a year for new stuff.
  • Alternative/Rock/Punk/ Heavy Metal (Not too heavy for me): One of my favorite genres of music. It can be anything really from catching pop bands to heavy screaming. I use these songs for a lot of things every day it would take another list to name them all. It usually takes longer for me to replace these songs like at least a year and some just are permanently glued to my playlist.
  • Country: Not my favorite genre, but there's so really good ones out there. I don't usually own any of the songs myself, but it's nice to hear good ones on the radio.
  • Classical: O where to begin! My absolute favorite genre! There's just one thing I use for it though concentration and thought. Right now I'm playing this song: Escape! Phillip Glass
    I often get lost in classical music while I'm doing my homework of laying on my bed. Really what I like about it is that there's no words (unless you include Opera in this category) so you can use your imagination to describe the feelings the song portrays. I can go on and on about it, but for list's sake onward!
  • Jazz: A lot of it is like classical, but with a different feel. It's a bit more chill and upbeat than classical. I dunno whether it's my favorite or not. But I do like it and its a breath of fresh air at times from my classical playlists.
  • Rap/ Hip-Hop/ R&B: Okay I mostly hate Rap and Hip-Hop. But there are a few songs within the genre I do like and some of it is actually fun especially like ones with the specific dances like Jerking and Cat Daddy. Kid Cudi and some of Kanye's songs are pretty genius along with some others. The genres fairly new compared to others and it still has potentialR&B I tend to like more than the others because of it's lighter chiller tone and has that pop feel you can't help but like.
  • Parody: What more can I say than a lot of these are awesome! Weird Al is a genius and I have to admit some of his songs sound better than the original. Others I have no idea how people can come up with them Example: Assumption song Hilarious!
    It's sad I learned all the lyrics to this song and can sing it by heart.....
  • Covers: While we are on the topic of remakes of songs, there's a lot of covers of songs out there. You can just type in any popular song on youtube and for sure there will be an acoustic cover of it. It's not the most original of most genres, but it's unique in which someone takes a song and puts a new spin on it.
That's most of the genres I can think of.
Now for the other side of the spectrum:
The EVIL side of music.

There's bad things music can do. It can be rather annoying. For example I hate people who blast their music with the bass up. I can be guilty of it too at times due to peer pressure. It's just one of those things that it's fun doing, but you hate it when it happens to you.
Some songs are overplayed and some shouldn't be played at all. Rebecca Black you are the music industry's Bubonic Plague, but at least you make me appreciate real music.
Most of it is pirated (guilty) and many of the artists don't get the proper credit they deserve.

But despite it's faults, music is such a beautiful thing. It's the human idea of mixing a bunch of sounds from practically anything and making art out of it. Just like art many people see beauty from different things. Someone may absolutely worship rap and think Classical music is boring. And I think Rap is crap (haha) and of course like Classical music. Both genres are amazing in their own way it's just both of our opinions whether we like them or not.


















My final thought on music. I honestly think music is also the voice of God (or fill in whatever you believe in even if it's nothing). Something so beautiful and so able to form into so many things must come from something so perfect as God.
Otherwise we wouldn't have put so much work into making it even more beautiful and making it a part of our lives.

So thanks for reading my perspective and thoughts in the wonderful world of sounds, thoughts and feelings we call Music.
Now if you excuse me I have to get back to some homework with the Hans Zimmer's Inception soundtrack!

No comments:

Post a Comment